Kathryn C. Mayer
Political Savvy Certified Trainer
Read Article Gender
Senior Leadership Development Executive and Experienced Executive Coach
20 years experience with a successful track record of pioneering culture change efforts by designing systems and improving skills resulting in enhanced competitiveness of large global corporations. Expertise in consulting with businesses to apply creative solutions, improve leadership and management behaviors, attain diversity objectives, and coaching high potential executives to help them succeed in new and challenging roles.
KC Mayer Consulting Inc. (KCM) New York, NY
President 2003 - present
Leadership development and executive coaching firm that helps fortune 1000 companies maintain a competitive edge by developing cultures that foster high productivity, employee retention, and innovation. KCM partners with its clients to identify necessary systemic changes to create an environment where individuals can thrive and the organization can support that going forward. KCM takes a multidisciplinary approach drawing from its expertise in business, management development, cognitive psychology, sports psychology, and theatrical techniques. Clients have included Credit Suisse, Merrill Lynch, UBS Investment Banking, Glaxo Smith Kline, Selective Insurance, Citigroup in the USA and Europe, Society for Women Engineers, Smith College Executive Education, Symbol Technology, and United Entertainment Media.
Key Accomplishments Include
- Expanded productivity and results of two technology firms and several financial services organizations through advising the CEO/senior leaders and coaching high potentials.
- Created a Leadership Development Program for Women Investment Bankers.
- Delivered customized seminars/keynote speeches on Organizational Savvy, Giving Candid Feedback, Building a Strategic Network, and Mastering Collaborative Competition™.
- Wrote and launched the book Collaborative Competition™: A Woman’s Guide to Succeeding by Competing aimed at helping women succeed through practicing healthy competition.
Women’s World Banking New York, NY
Director of the Center for Microfinance Leadership 2010 - 2011
Started up a new global center that delivers executive education programs and conduct organization gender assessments focused on cultivating principled, visionary leaders and microfinance organizations that value diversity. The Center was conceived in response to critical changes underway in microfinance: increased commercialization, decreased presence of women staff at all levels of microfinance institutions, and rapid growth—that demand skilled leaders and managers. Collaborated with Wharton Executive Education and Creative Metier (UK based long-distance coaching company) and trained leaders from South America, Africa, Middle East, Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, Asia, and Central Asia. Enhanced the usefulness of the curriculum, doubled the participation of leaders outside the network, and developed staff to run the center.
Citigroup Global Markets Inc. New York, NY
Director, Training and Development, Investment Banking Division 1998 - 2002
Organizational Development and Culture Change Initiatives
- Led the Human Resources team to redesign the performance review process to merge the Salomon and Smith Barney cultures. Increased fairness and usefulness of feedback.
- Designed and managed the firm-wide Coaching Initiative for Managing Directors and Group Heads. Represented the first successful coaching program at the senior level. Resulted in improved management of the business and to management becoming a more valued skill.
- Directed team to design and implement the Global Trusted Advisor Initiative. This supported the strategic effort by the firm to shift the mindset of the bank from a transaction focus toward an orientation on developing and maintaining relationships in an advisory capacity.
- Researched and wrote the White paper that clarified the need and change process.
- Piloted efforts to retain women officers through the design and delivery of conferences, mentoring programs, and targeted coaching of high potentials.
- Hired and developed and a team of training professionals in Europe and Asia and increased impact of all initiatives and in training becoming a core part of the culture of excellence.
Leadership and Professional Development Initiatives
- Launched the first Leadership and Management Development Programs for new Vice Presidents and Directors. Resulted in increased satisfaction and improved performance.
- Led the effort to improve the management and influence skills of the firm through certifying all the corporate trainers on the Political Savvy methodology, resulting in this program becoming a core part of Citigroup’s management training programs.
Deloitte and Touche, L.L.P. New York, NY
Director of Professional Development 1995 – 1998
- Directed the start-up of a consultative learning organization with four training professionals serving 3500 client service and administrative professionals in the Tri-State area and a $7 million regional learning budget.
- Developed and implemented new comprehensive technical and consultative curriculum for Tax, Audit, and Consultative Service groups. Developed customized programs delivered by internal and external consultants: communication skills, meeting management, leadership, dress and etiquette, assertiveness, presentation skills, networking, business writing, product development, and performance feedback
- Enhanced the learning retention rate and promoted knowledge sharing of client service and administrative professionals through leveraging technology in creative ways.
- Improved the facilitation skills of all the national client service instructors by launching a new training for over 300 people.
Goldman Sachs & Co. New York, NY
Senior Trainer 1989 - 1994
Partnered with senior managers and external consultants to assess department needs and develop and implement creative solutions. Expanded efforts to deliver customized training to management and support staff level professionals in New York and Europe. Led highly experiential seminars including: new hire orientation, client service, management principles, interview skills, team building, presentation skills, performance management, creativity, and communication skills.
Manufacturers Hanover Trust Co. New York, NY
Senior Training Analyst 1987 - 1989
Designed and delivered banking orientation and communication programs for executive staff and supervisory professionals. Doubled enrollment through the customization of interactive learning programs and the development of an internal marketing strategy. Taught seminars in LOTUS 1-2-3 and Introduction to the IBM PC.
City of Albany, Department of Human Resources New York, NY
Training Coordinator 1985 - 1987
Managed $100,000 grant for delivering job-search and life skill programs with three professionals serving over 100 juvenile offenders. Increased job placement rates by developing jobs using computerized assessment tools, coordinating services with other agencies, and leading job search workshops.
Tennis Academy Albany, NY
Executive Director (part-time) 1983 - 1986
Managed tennis instruction business. Expanded client base by using nontraditional teaching approaches. Number and size of classes doubled in a three-year period.
New York University New York, NY
Executive Coaching and Advanced Executive Coaching Workshops 2000 – 2001
Columbia University, Teachers College New York, NY
Workplace Learning Institute:
Implementing the Learning Organization - Summer 1995 & 1996
Executive Seminar on Creating a Learning Organization - May 1997
State University of New York at Albany Albany, NY
M.S. Counseling Psychology, Certificate in Advanced Study in Psychology 1984
St. Lawrence University Canton, NY
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology, Magna Cum Laude, and Phi Beta Kappa 1982
Political Savvy, Myers Briggs, Covey’s Seven Habits, FIRO-B, Personal Profile System, Center for Creative Leadership’s Benchmark Instrument, The Actors Institute Coaching Program, The Birkman, VOICES ® 360-degree instrument, and Citigroup’s 360-degree feedback instrument.
Book: Collaborative Competition™: A Woman’s Guide to Succeeding by Competing, April 2009, Collaborative Competition Press, Amazon.com
Articles: “Do Women and Organizational Politics Mix?,” 2005, www.politicalsavvy.com; “The Space Between Doormat and Dominator: How to Claim Your Rightful Place in a World that Calls You a Bitch, 2009;” “Want to Magnify Your Networking Efforts Even in Tough Times, Consider Pacing Partners,” 2009; and “Collaborative Competition™: A Woman’s Leadership Tool for a Global Marketplace,” 2009.
American Society for Training and Development, Financial Women’s Association, Organizational Development Network, Women in Sports and Events, and Human Resources of New York Group.
Contact us for additional information on our trainers, as well as information on other available Political Savvy Certified Trainers.
Web Specials: Save 15% to 35%!
Political Savvy Products and Save 15% to 35% off retail prices!
Purchase additional products only available through this website!